With summer coming it’s hard to ignore all the commercials, ads, magazines and haunting voices in my head telling me to “Get in Shape”, “Get Bathing suit ready”, or that “Doritos are not a food group!” The pressure can be overwhelming any time of year, but especially when warm weather starts to creep in, and the need to show my upper arms is looming somewhere in mid June.
Now, if you are anything like me, then your food pyramid looks something like this…
Hopefully you are nothing like me… because if you are then I’m afraid we’re all on the fast track to obesity and liver failure… but I’m confident that it’s not too late to turn it around! After all, it was a very long winter and I think we all suffered the consequences of that. Perhaps we all had too many nights infront of the fire with our cats, a bottle of wine and a sheet pan of taco dip?
Whatever your reason for eating healthy… whether it be to tone up for summer, or continue with your normal routine, eating healthy doesn’t mean missing out. You can still go to your favourite restaurant with your friends and grab something delicious that makes you feel good about yourself!
Now, the Justamere prides itself in making fresh food always, and while it’s all mostly good for you (there’s nothing we can do about bacon and hollandaise sauce), I wanted to outline some lighter choices for those of you (like myself), who are trying to be a little more food conscious as we near the season of shorts and skirts… So come with me now as we take a tour through “The Lighter Side of the Justamere!”
1. Soup du Jour: Very few of our fresh soups contain any heavy creams or fattening agents that tend to turn a nice cup of healthiness into the equivalent of a hot milkshake. Many are even vegetarian and vegan! So more often than not, and especially if you’re in need for something quick, our soup du jour is a great option!
2. Greek Salad: One of my favourite go-to’s for a healthy lunch! This salad is chock full of peppers, red onions, cucumber, tomato, artichokes, and olives – plus a healthy 2 ounce portion of feta make’s it delicious and creamy without making it too heavy!
3. Fishcakes: Breakfast, lunch or dinner, fishcakes are a great option! Consisting of haddock, lobster, potato, and onions, there’s really nothing unhealthy about this choice! Having it with a nice garden salad, or a side greek will be the best decision you’ve ever had!
4. Thai Peanut Stir-fry: There is no possible way that I can accurately portray the love that I have for this dish… but I will try. Think of a time when you’ve been on a diet for like 3 hours and then you reward your hard work and deprivation with a family size bag of Doritos? Well, our stir fry will make you feel as good as that reward tastes, but without the guilt! Mind you it’s not our healthiest option, but with a bowl full of fresh veggies being the main component – it’s not too darn bad! The thai peanut sauce is simple but delicious and gives some added protein! If you’re being extra calorie conscious you may want to opt out of the fried won tons on top… but they’re just so darn good! Definitely my new favourite!
5. Panfried Haddock: Available for both lunch and dinner, this option make a great healthy choice. It is a rare day when I’m not absolutely smothering my fish in our homemade tar tar sauce… but if I can manage to resist the urge then this is a great choice for me!
6. Fruit and Yogurt Parfait: I’m brining it back to breakfast, but this one speaks for itself. Vanilla yogurt and fresh cut fruit sprinkled with a granola mix. Healthy and delicious, a great way to start any morning.
7. Portobello Melt: Sometimes you just want a sandwich. Sometimes you just want a hot, delicious meal that needs two pieces of bread to hold in all of its awesomeness. In the restaurant world a healthy sandwich can sometimes be hard to find… but you need look no further. The Justamere’s Portobello melt with marinaded portobello mushrooms, peppers and onions, mixed greens, swiss cheese and a roasted red pepper spread makes this sandwich a light in the dark sandwich world of questionably healthy breads, spreads and meats.
So there you have it – a few of our healthier options at the Justamere Cafe. While it’s really hard to go wrong when most of our dishes are made from scratch, it’s still important to us to keep you informed about your choices at the restaurant. We often say that we have “something for everyone”, and healthier options are no exception! Whether you feel like catering to a craving with a Chipotle Burger, sweet potato fries and a chocolate milkshake, or if you’re sticking to the lighter side of the Justamere and getting a Greek salad with shrimp, you won’t be disappointed! So there’s no need to restrict yourself and miss out on your next lunch date, or dinner out with your family – Try one of these options next time you’re in and who knows, maybe you’ll even find some new favourites!